Columbia County is the home to the states third largest concentration of covered bridges. They have nineteen bridges within the county and four span the border between Coumbia and Northumberland Counties. On a yearly basis, visitors from all over the world come
and admire the antiqued craftsmanship used to construct these spans. No
two covered bridges are alike. Come see the covered bridges of Columbia County in Pennsylvania.
Of all the covered bridges in the country,Columbia County is the home to one of the only two remaining twin covered bridges in the country. The East and West Paden Bridges are Columbia County’s prized covered bridges.
Columbia County has the distinction of having some of the best maintained bridges in the state. This county has the settings for these beautiful structures so as to create a photographers dream.
Creasyville Covered Bridge
(GPS N41 12.74 W76 27.67)
This bridge is of the Queenpost
truss design. Creasyville bridge crosses Little Fishing creek
located in Columbia county. It is located on Twp. Rte. 683 off 4031 just north
of Millville and Iola, Pa. Being located near Iram Derr's sawmill, this bridge
was built in 1881 for a cost of $301.25, and was probably first known as
the Derr bridge...The structure is a length of 44 1/2 feet and a width of 14
feet. The bridge is opened to vehicle traffic. The structure is owned and
maintained by Columbia County. The bridge presents quite a setting in the autumn
with a colorful background.
Davis Covered Bridge
(GPS N40 54.63 W76 26.40)
The bridge is of a
Burr Arch design. Davis Bridge crosses the N. Branch of
roaring Creek, located in Cleveland township, Columbia
County. It is located on Twp. Rte. 371, off Pa Rte. 42 just south of
Catawissa and West of Queen City. The bridge was built in 1875 by
Daniel Kostenbauder at a cost of $1,248.00. In the late 1800's Davis
who lived on a nearby farm began repairs on the bridge, giving it
his name. The bridge is 87 feet long, the width is 14 feet 2 inches.
This bridge is also opened to vehicle traffic like most of the
bridges in Columbia County. The structure is owned and maintained by
East and West Paden (Twin Bridges)
(GPS N41 06.419 W76 21.402)
(Pa # 19-11 & 19-12)
Queen post and
Burr Arch design. East and West Paden (or as they are better known
as The Twin Bridges), these are the only twin covered bridges in the
United States. They are located on Huntington Creek in Fishing Creek
Twp. Columbia County, east of
Forks, off 1020, east of Pa. Rte. 487.
The Twin Bridges were constructed in 1884 by W.C. Pennington for the sum of $720.00, and are named after John Paden, who operated a nearby sawmill. Twin Bridges County park was created in 1963 when a new road, 1020, bypassed the structures. The bridges are located in a park and preserved thanks to the planning of the Columbia County Commissioners, organizations and other concerned citizens of Columbia County. The West Paden is a length of 112 feet and width of 15 feet, the structure is owned and maintained by Columbia County. The East Paden has a length of 75 feet and width of 15 feet, like the West Paden it is also owned and maintained by the county. The two bridges have been completely restored in 2008.
Esther Furnace Covered Bridge
(GPS N40 54.40 W76 27.59)
This bridge is a Queen Post
design. Esther Furnace bridge crosses the N. Branch of Roaring
creek in Cleveland Township, Columbia County. Location of the bridge
is located south of Catawissa, Pa. This bridge was built
in 1881 by C.W. Eves at a cost of $1.044.75
It is named after the Esther iron smelting furnace built in
1817. The only covered bridge in the county with two spans and a mid
stream pier. The structure length is 101 feet and a width of 13 feet
4 inches. Columbia owns and maintains the bridge, it is open to
Fowlerville Covered Bridge
(GPS N41 03.64 W76 17.00)
(Pa # 38-19-05)
Covered Bridge (Pa. 19-05) This bridge was originally built over the
West Branch of Briar Creek near Fowlerville at a cost of $397.00,
the bridge was moved to Brian Creek Park in 1986 after a new bridge
was constructed over Briar Creek. The bridge was built in 1886 using
the Queenpost design, the length is 40 feet and the width is 15
feet. The builder of the structure is Charles King and the owner at
present is the State of Pennsylvania. The bridge is only open
to foot traffic and it is in excellent condition.
Hollingshead Covered Bridge
(GPS N40 57.12 W76 26.87)
Another Burr Arch design.
Hollingshead bridge crosses the Catawissa creek in Columbia County.
It is located on Twp. rte. 405, southeast of Catawissa. The bridge
was built in 1851 by Peter Ent for a price of $1,180.00. Henry
Hollingshead owned a nearby mill. The structure length is 116 feet
and the width is 15 feet 4 inches. The bridge has gone under major
repairs in 1999, replacing of timber beams and adding more beams to
the underneath of the bridge. The bridge has been painted and
the concrete has been repaired. This is what the bridge looks like
today after the repairs The bridge is opened to vehicle traffic. The
bridge is owned and maintained by Columbia County.
Johnson Covered Bridge
(GPS N40 52.69 W76 29.00)
This bridge has a Queen truss design. Johnson Bridge crosses Mugser run a tributary of the S. Branch of Roaring creek, Columbia county. It is a on Twp rte. 320 east of Knoebel's Grove amusement park. The bridge was built in 1882 by Daniel Stine for the sum of $ 799.00 Adam M. Johnson was a farmer in the area and also conducted a boot and shoe store near the site. The bridges length is 61 feet and a width of 13 feet 6 inches. The structure is in good condition and opened to vehicle traffic. May I add that the setting of this bridge very nice to photograph. This bridge is also owned and maintained by the County of Columbia.
Josiah Hess Covered Bridge
(GPS N41 06.84 W76 20.35)
This bridge has a Burr
Arch truss design. Josiah Hess bridge crosses Huntington creek in Columbia County, Pennsylvania. It is located in Fishing creek township between Forks and Jonestown on
twp. Route 363, off 1020. The bridge was built in 1875 by Joseph Redline at a
cost of $1,3409.00. The Hess family lived nearby and owned a sawmill. The length
of the bridge is 110 feet and the width is15 feet and 5 inches. The structure is
owned and maintained by Columbia County. It has gone under a complete
refurbishing and it is only open to foot traffic. Another beautiful bridge with
a great natural wooded setting for photographing.
Jud Christian / Jud Christie Covered Bridge
(GPS N41 11.75 W76 28.37)
(Pa # 19-25)
Queen Post truss
design. The Jud Christian bridge (Jud Christie Wood bridge)
crosses Little Fishing creek and is located between Jackson and Pine
Twp. in Columbia County on Twp. rte. 685, off 4031 and 4039 just north
of a the little mountain havens of Millville and Iola. The bridge is in
great shape and allows traffic daily. The bridge was built in 1876 by
William L. Manning for the sum of $239.00. The bridges namesake was a
local farmer and lumberman. The bridges length is 53 feet and a width of
12 feet 8 inches. The bridge is owned and maintained by Columbia County.
Knoebel's Grove Covered Bridge
(GPS N40 52.63 W76 30.33)
(Pa # 19-39 Pa # 49-13)
design. Lawrence L. Knoebel bridge is
located in the Knoebel's Groves Amusement Park. The bridge crosses the south
branch of Roaring Creek connecting Cleveland Twp. and Columbia County with
Ralpho Twp., Northumberland County. The park is located at county line off 487
between Catawissa and Elysburg.
The bridge was originally constructed over the West Creek, near Benton, Pa. Columbia County, in 1881 and built by J.J. McHenry at a cost of $348.00. In 1936 it was sold to H.H. Knoebel and sons for $40.00 and relocated to its present location. The length of the bridge is 41 feet and a width of 15 feet. This structure is privately owned.
Kramer Covered Bridge
(GPS N41 07.271 W76 25.925)
(Pa # 19-23)
The Kramer Bridge is os the Queen Post design the bridge crosses Mud Run, a tributary of Green and Fishing Creeks. It is
southwest of the village of Rohrsburg on Twp. Rte. 572 off Twp. Rte.
595. C.W. Eves built the Kramer Bridge in 1881 for the cost of $414.50.
It was named
after Alexander Kramer, a local farmer...The bridge length is 50 feet
width of 13 feet and 18 inches. This bridge has just gone under a
refurbish in 2008 and is in great condition, it is open to all traffic.
County owns and maintains the bridge.
Krickbaum / Kriegbaum Covered Bridge
(GPS N40 50.85 W76 30.44)
(Pa. 49-12 & #38-19-32 )
This bridge utilizes Queen
post design. The bridge is shared by Northumberland and Columbia
counties. Krickbaum's bridge crosses the S. branch of Roaring
creek., between Cleveland twp., Columbia County, and Ralpho twp.,
Northumberland County. It is located on Twp. Rt. 302, northeast of
Bear Gap. George W. Keefer built this bridge in 1876 for the sum of
$732.00 William Krickbaum's grist mill was near the
bridge site. The bridge is 62 feet and a width of 13 feet 8 inches.
The structure is owned and maintained by both counties, it is open
to vehicle traffic
Parr's Mill Covered Bridge
(GPS N40 54.38 W76 28.37)
This bridge was built using
the Burr Arch design. Parr's Mill bridge connects Franklin and
Cleveland Twps. in Columbia County. The bridge crosses the N. branch
of Roaring creek. The structure is located on Twp. Rt. 371 off 3003
and east Pa. Rt. 487 south of Catawissa. F.L. Shuman constructed
the bridge in 1866 for the sum of $1275.00 in 1875. Washington Parr
purchased the Willow Grove grist mill nearby, and it became better
known as Parr's Mill bridge. Length of this structure is 84
feet and the width is 12 feet 2 inches. This bridge is opened to all
traffic and is owned and maintained by the County.
Patterson / Paterson Covered Bridge
(GPS N41 06.57 W76 25.04)
Patterson was built using the Burr truss design. The Bridge is located on Green creek., which is a tributary that flows into Fishing Creek. They are in orange Twp., Columbia county. The bridge is located on Twp. Rt. 575 between Orangeville and Rohrsburg, off 4041. The bridge was built by Frank Derr in 1875 for the amount of $804.00. The construction was named after Patterson's saw mill, which was located near the site. The bridge length is 82 feet and a width 14 feet 7 inches, it is open to all traffic. The County own and maintains this structure. The bridge has gone thru a major refurbish in 2006, it now stands out as one of Columbia county's finest covered bridges.
Richards Covered Bridge
(GPS N40 52.05 W76 30.49)
(Pa 19-01 & #38-49-07)
(This Bridge is also listed with Northumblerland County Bridges)
Richards bridge uses a modified multiple Kingpost design. The bridge crosses the south branch of Roaring creek. This bridge connects Cleveland Twp., Columbia County with Ralpho Twp., Northumberland County. It is located on Twp. Rt. 337. south of Knoebel;'s Groves. The bridge was built in 1880 by Columbia and Northumberland Counties at a cost of $565.00/ The original bridge on this site was near the John Richard's farm. The bridge length is 63 feet 8 inches and the width is 11 feet. The structure is owned and maintained by Columbia County and open to all traffic.
Rupert Covered Bridge
(GPS N40 50.88 W76 28.36)
(Pa # 19-33)
This is Rupert bridge after extensive renovation by Lycoming Supply Co. At a cost of $1.3 million. I do think Mr. Jesse W. Beard would roll over a few times in his grave if he knew what it cost to renovate (not build) this bridge. The bridge has been magnificently done. The commissioners of Columbia county do have something to be proud of here. You will notice two mountain stone tiers have been added to the structure of the bridge, I would assume it was for the support of the daily traffic that it receives, and by no way does this take away from the beauty of this structure, in my opinion it only adds to it...
The bridge is located between the town of Bloomsburg and Catawissa in Columbia
county. The bridge crosses Fishing Creek in Twp. It is on Rte. 449 off 4001 and
near Pa. Rte. 42 in the village of Rupert.
The original bridge was built at the cost of $1,63700 and constructed in the year of 1847 by Jesse W. Beard. The bridge uses a Burr Arch truss design and the length is 185 feet and a width of 17 feet 9 inches. It was named after the nearby village, which was settled by Leonard Rupert in 1788. Rupert established a ferry across the river and his home became a popular stopping off place for travelers. This structure is owned and maintained by Columbia County and is open to all traffic.
Sam Eckman Covered Bridge
(GPS N41 10.66 W76 29.41)
(Pa # 19-08)
truss design. Sam Eckman covered bridge is one of the many
bridges that have been repaired in the Columbia County
area. Sam Eckman bridge crosses Little fishing Creek between Pine
and Greenwood Twp., Columbia County, on Twp Rte. 548, north of
Millville and Iola, near 4031. The bridge was built in 1876 for the
sum of $498.00 by Joseph Redline. Samuel Eckman, after whom it
was named, operated a farm, shingle mill and birch oil factory
nearby, and then later established the Millville Creamery. The
length of the bridge is 66 ft with a width of 14 feet 6 inches. The
bridge is owned and maintained by Columbia County and open to all
Shoemaker Covered Bridge
(GPS N41 09.08 W76 32.15)
(Pa # 19-06)
truss design. Shoemaker Bridge is located on the W. Branch run which
is a tributary to Little Fishing Creek in Pine Twp., Columbia
County, and on 4027, near Rte. 442 NW of Iola.
The bridge was built in 1881 by T.S. Christian at the cost of $322.00. It was named after Joseph Shoemaker, a nearby farmer and lumberman. The length of the bridge is 49' and the width is 15 ft. This bridge is only open to foot traffic. In 2008 this bridge went under major restoration and the photos presented here are of the new bridge and what it looks like today. Again, the contractor did a magnificent job of restoring this structure back to the way it looked originally. This bridge is owned and maintained by Columbia County.
Snyder Covered Bridge
(GPS N40 54.08 W76 23.67)
(Pa # 19-14)
This bridge was built in 1876 and the builder is unknown, it crosses Roaring Creek (North Branch) The structure is 60 feet 2 inches in length and 14 feet 9 inches wide. Snyder is owned and maintained by the county and open to vehicle traffic.
Some accounts (including the World Guide to Covered Bridges) list the bridge as a Burr arch truss. However the Theodore Burr Society of Pennsylvania lists it as a Queenpost truss. When photographed on April 19, 2006 the bridges interior was a Queenpost truss. Date of construction is also in conflict. The Statewide Covered Bridge Assessment list the year 1900, the Columbia County Covered Bridge Brochure indicates that it is “unknown,” and the World Guide to Covered Bridges list the year 1876. Its abutments are poured concrete as are three wing walls. There is one wingwall missing. The floor is covered with runners on closely spaced crosswise planking. The sides are covered with vertical board siding and both portals are covered with vertical siding. There are opening under the eaves. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on November 29, 1979
Stillwater Covered Bridge
GPS N41 09.13 W76 22.04)
(Pa # 19-21)
Stillwater bridge is located on Big Fishing Creek in the village of Stillwater. It is located on Twp. Rte. 629, east of Pa. Rte. 487 four miles east of Benton, Pa. The bridges length is 151 feet and a width of 15 feet 3 inches. The structure was built utilizing the Burr Arch design, it is only open to foot traffic. The bridge is owned and maintained by the County.
The cost of the bridge to build in the year of 1849 was $1,124 and built by
James McHenry, whose family was among the first to settle in the Stillwater
area. The Columbia county commissioners took over the bridge and in 1959
decided to keep and maintain the bridge for all time in memory of all Columbia
Counties covered bridges.. I would just hope someone would remove the eye sore
barriers they have put up at each end of the bridge. There has got to be a
better way to stop traffic from entering the bridge. I do believe this
distracts from the beauty of this historic site. ….
Wanich Covered Bridge
(GPS N41 02.38 W76 28.97)
(Pa # 19-18)
Bridge is located on Little Fishing Creek between Hemlock and Mount Pleasant
Twp. Columbia county. North of Fernville and Bloomsburg, it is on Twp. Rte. 493,
off pa. Rte 42. George Russell built the bridge utilizing the Burr Arch design in 1844 for the sum of $500.00.
John Wanich was a farmer who resided nearby. The length of the bridge is 98 feet
and a width of 15 and 3 inches. The structure is owned and maintained by the
County and is open to all traffic, the bridge is in good condition.