Franklin County only has two covered bridges, they are both very well maintained and photographic. Of the two bridges in this county only one is open to vehicular traffic, the other is open to foot and bike traffic from the bike trail. Both these bridges are set in the most beautiful landscape, it was a worthwhile trip and a pleasure to photograph each of these fine structures.
Martin Mill Covered Bridge
GPS N39 450890 W077460560)
Martin Mill / Shindle Bridge is reported to be the longest remaining Town truss covered bridge in Pennsylvania. It was reconstructed after the Hurricane Agnes flood of 1972 but is now closed to all traffic except foot and bike trail users. The bridge was built in 1839 by Jacob Shirk, the length is 207 ft. and a width of 16 ft., it crosses Conococheague Creek in Franklin County. The location of the bridge is on Township Route 341, Weaver Road, approximately 1.1 miles east of Township Route 342, 0.8 mile south of junction with State Route. This bridge is privately owned, but the do not post trespassing signs.
Witherspoon Covered Bridge
(GPS N39 47.310 W077 51.250)
This is the only remaining covered bridge in Franklin County, Pennsylvania that is still used by vehicular traffic The bridge was built in 1883 by S.Stouffer and it utilizes the Burr Truss in its construction. The structures length is 87 ft. and the width is 14 ft. it crosses Licking Creek in Montgomery Township. The bridge is in very good condition and is very well kept and landscaped. The surrounding area gives a feeling of peacefulness, its slow moving stream is someplace you just want to sit and enjoy the surroundings. This is a covered bridge placed perfectly for all to enjoy.