Bells Mill Covered Bridge
(GPS N40 13.15 W79 42.62)
This is the only covered bridge in Westmoreland County, the sides are covered with barn red horizontal clapboard siding, painted inside and outside; the roof consists of cedar shakes and the deck has lengthwise planking in wide tire track areas that are laid over crosswise planking. There are no side openings other than the rather wide, typical, lengthwise eave openings. The entire structure rests on stone and mortar abutments that are reinforced with concrete both at the ground and road level. The bridge also has stone and mortar wing walls that are protected with heavy wooden guardrails.
Built in 1850, the Bells Mill Bridge is a burr arch truss design, 13 feet wide and 104 feet long. The bridge is in daily use connecting South Huntingdon and Sewickley Townships. The bridge was designed by Daniel McCain who was also the contractor. This bridge was placed on the National Register in 1979.
It is located on Bells Mill Road where it crosses Sewickley creek. Bells Mill Road intersects PA Route 136 approximately 3.5 miles East of West Newton or 3.5 miles West of Madison.